Nitrate in water

The presence of nitrate in a water analysis is a danger signal. Nitrate is an indication that your water supply may be contaminated with bacteria. Even small amounts of nitrate make the water supply suspect. In farming areas, like Illinois, nitrates are a real problem.

Large amounts of nitrate are dangerous to infants. Babies drinking high nitrate water develop a blue color of skin because the blood has a decreased ability to carry oxygen. Continued drinking of the water will cause the baby to become ill, or may even result in death.

Partial removal of nitrate can be accomplished by reverse osmosis. Complete removal of nitrate may be accomplished by deionization treatment. If the water supply is found to be contaminated, chlorination may be needed to kill the bacteria. If nitrate water cannot be reduced to an acceptable level through water treatment, we suggest that bottled water be used for drinking.

Back to Top